You are here
Join Our Team!
Community Engagement Librarian
Hours: FT 37.5 Hours Per Week, including weekends and evenings
Salary: $46,098-$58,000, IMRF and excellent benefits
Do you have excellent customer service and creative problem-solving skills? Do you welcome opportunities to try exciting new services, and thrive from tackling challenges? Are you inspired by NMDL’s fantastic array of resources, services, and programs? If so, we encourage you to apply!
The Niles-Maine District Library has an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated, enthusiastic librarian with top-notch customer service and relationship-building skills.
Major duties include:
- Serving on Library’s Community Engagement committee, collaborating with other staff throughout the Library on Community Engagement efforts. Coordinating all Community Engagement efforts within the Adult & Outreach Services Department.
- Identifying underserved areas in the Library District, initiating relationships with stakeholders and potential library partners who also serve adults.
- Providing outstanding readers’ advisory and information services, and connecting with a diverse array of patrons of all ages at new service desk in busy Commons area, and at other desks as needed.
- Planning and implementing offsite programming for adults, and advocating Library at community events.
- Assisting with writing grant proposals for special initiatives that serve our Strategic Plan.
- Fostering and developing existing relationships with business, intergovernmental, and other organization partners through regular Community Engagement activities.
- Acting as an outspoken advocate of the Library’s adult-centered services, programs, and materials proactively both inside the Library and out in the Community, knowing our resources inside and out.
- Providing information and RA services to Outreach patrons, assisting with home deliveries and deliveries to institutions as needed.
MLIS or MLS degree from an ALA-accredited program required. At least 2 years of recent, relevant library experience required. Current driver’s license required. Ability to lift up to 50 lbs. is required.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume plus 3 references to email@example.com, or by mail to Human Resources, Niles-Maine District Library, 6960 Oakton, Niles, IL 60714.
Youth and Teen Services Program Coordinator
Hours: Full-Time, 37.5 hours/week
Work Schedule: Monday-Thursday 1-9 p.m., Friday 1-7 p.m., Second and Fourth Saturdays 9 a.m. - 5 p.m., Second Sundays 1-5 p.m. Tuesdays off for weekend shifts
Salary: Starting at $15.50-$19.50 per hour
Do you like working with kids & teens? Are you comfortable with technology, detail oriented, and comfortable adapting to change?
If this describes you, join us in delivery of top-notch internal and external customer service in KidSpace and Teen Underground. This job is a mix between program coordination and assistant positions. Tasks include managing the department calendar, coordinating check requests, room setups, marketing requests, and reporting statistics. Everyone pitches in keeping the KidSpace office and department running smoothly. You will also help cover the desk, manage a monthly list of tasks and paperwork, order and stock supplies, and assist with program preparations for our expansive Summer Reading Challenge. Our Library is a Top Workplaces 2019 winner, and we are on the hunt to add to our great lineup.
We are especially interested in applicants with Spanish, Polish, or Urdu conversational skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
- Experience working with children and teens
- Excellent customer service, communication and technology skills
- Ability to multi-task and be flexible in a busy environment
Benefits include IMRF, health/vision/dental insurance, and standard personal/vacation opportunities
To apply, send resume, cover letter, to HR@nileslibrary.org, Human Resources, Niles Maine District Library, 6960 Oakton, Niles, IL, 60714. Application required upon interview request. References required upon request. Please refer to the Program Coordinator position in your cover letter. Email questions to Arianne Carey, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Outreach Services Assistant
Hours: Part Time (19 hrs./wk)
Salary: $15.34-$19.00 per hour.
Work Schedule: Mondays alternate every other week between 9:00-12:00 and 12:00-3:00; Tuesday 12:00-3:00; Wednesday 9:00-3:00; Thursday 12:00-3:00; Friday 9:00-12:00.
Major responsibilities include:
- Communicate with, gather materials for, and deliver Library materials to patrons at home, schools, and other institutions
- Coordinate delivery needs and requests with patrons directly by phone
- Discharge returned materials upon receipt
- Drive van to delivery sites on a regular basis
- Must have at least 2 years of customer service experience; public library experience strongly preferred
- Possession of a current Illinois Driver’s license; evidence of a safe driving record
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, by phone, and by email
- Familiarity with public library practices, services, and mission
- Ability to demonstrate patience, friendliness, discretion regarding patron account information, and attention to detail
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 pounds
- Knowledge of popular authors and titles, and enthusiasm for reading and talking about books and other Library resources preferred
Send résumé and the names of three professional references to: Attention: Human Resources, Niles-Maine Library District, 6960 Oakton Street, Niles, IL 60714 or email to email@example.com.
Digital Services Assistant
Hours: Part Time, 15 hours per week, must have evening and weekend availability
If you enjoy troubleshooting technology issues and delivering top-notch customer service in a fast-paced library environment, this position is for you!
The Niles-Maine District Library is looking for a self-motivated, innovative, and enthusiastic individual to join the Digital Services team. The Digital Services Department was formed in October 2015 and continues to expand and evolve. Whether it is circulating technology equipment or teaching a sewing workshop, we are always trying new things.
- Developing and delivering dynamic technology classes and maker programs.
- Providing training to staff and patrons on the library’s online resources.
- Staffing a busy technology desk and maker space 10-15 hours a week.
- Providing assistance using recording, editing and digitization tools in our digital media lab, The Creative Studio.
The ideal candidate has…
- Excellent customer services skills.
- Ability to work well within a team and be adaptable to change.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines with excellent organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Interested in and knowledgeable about technology including computers, mobile devices, social media, and online resources.
- Ability to troubleshoot technology issues calmly, patiently and effectively.
- Enthusiasm for learning new technology skills and a passion for emerging technology.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with the public and all levels of Library staff with tact and diplomacy.
- BA/BS or relevant experience.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume plus 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org., or by mail to Human Resources, Niles-Maine District Library, 6960 Oakton, Niles, IL 60714.
When applying for an open position, please download the fillable Job Application and complete. Send completed applications to Attention: Human Resources, Niles-Maine District Library, 6960 Oakton Street, Niles, IL 60714, email to email@example.com or return to the Library. You may also ask for one at the Information Desk in Patron Services. Someone will contact you shortly.
Careers at Other Libraries
To see if jobs are available at other area libraries, check the RAILS (Reaching Across Illinois Library System) Jobs Board.