You are here
The Library building is now open for limited services. Keep reading for the Library's safety protocols and information about limited available services.
Safety is one of our top priorities. Let's work together to keep everyone safe and healthy.
What Library Staff are Doing to Protect You
- Staff members will be wearing face masks, washing their hands, keeping a social distance, and taking their temperature upon arriving for their shifts.
- Staff members will be sanitizing high touch areas using EPA approved COVID-19 disinfectants during open hours.
- From 12-2 p.m. each day staff members will be doing a thorough cleaning.
- An overnight cleaning crew will be cleaning the Library in preparation for patrons and staff who enter the building the next morning.
What You Can Do to Protect Staff & Other Patrons
- Wear your face mask.
- Wash your hands.
- Keep 6 feet apart from others.
- Limit visits to 45 minutes or less.
- Consume food and drinks outside.
- Supervise children ages 16 and under.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the Library open?
Monday-Friday: 9 a.m.-12 p.m. & 2-7 p.m.
Saturday: 9 a.m.-12 p.m. & 2-5 p.m.
Please limit your visit to 45 minutes or less per day. The Library is closed for the last 15 minutes of each hour and from 12-2 p.m. for cleaning.
I can't wear a face mask or covering. What should I do?
Everyone entering the building must wear a face mask or covering. Please call 847-663-6640 for special accommodations.
Can I browse the collection and check out materials?
Yes! Express Checkout is one of the limited services available inside the Library. Within 45 minutes or less you may browse the collection on any floor and use one of the self-checkout stations to check out materials.
I have a library card from another library. Can I use Express Checkout?
I need to pick up materials I have on hold. What should I do?
You may pick up your materials inside the building during open hours. If you are interested in using the No Contact Holds Pick-Up service, click here for more information.
I need to return my checked out materials. Where should I return them?
Return your library materials including technology equipment* at the returns drop off located on the north side of the building. Look for the orange signs. All materials will be checked in after a 7-day quarantine period.
*Technology equipment includes hotspots, Rokus, and GoPros. Please call 847-663-6606 to schedule a time to return oversized technology equipment.
I still have materials from before quarantine. When should I return them by?
Please return materials by Saturday, August 1st. No fines accrued because we're a fine free library. Drop off materials on the north side of the building. Look for the orange signs.
Can I book an appointment to use a computer?
Yes! Technology appointments are available for Niles-Maine cardholders to use a computer, print, copy, fax, or scan. You may also book an appointment to use the Maker Space or Digital Media Studio. Book your appointment here or call 847-663-6606. We will have a limited number of slots available for walk-in service for non-Niles cardholders.
Can I start requesting materials from other libraries?
We're Thinking of You
- We increased the numbers of hoopla downloads from 10 to 15.
- We increased the number of downloads on OverDrive/Libby from 5 to 10.
- Ancestry (Library Edition) and AllData may now be accessed at home instead of just in the Library.
- Kanopy Kids is now available to keep the little ones entertained.
- Your Niles-Maine library card will not expire while the Library is closed.
- Live chat is now available every day from 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Virtual meeting rooms are now available! Click here for more information.
Access the Library From Home
Ask a Librarian
Our librarians are still available to answer questions while the Library is closed. Please email us and we will respond in a timely manner.