You are here
The Niles-Maine District Library is an official Passport Acceptance Facility providing passport services for U.S. citizens in the area. We are accepting DS-11 applications for passports at the Info Desk on the Main Level. No appointment necessary. During busy times we may have a waiting list, especially on weekends.
This is a general overview and not all situations are covered. For the most current and complete information, please visit www.travel.state.gov.
Renew Your Passport by Mail
Is your expired passport less than 15 years old?
Apply for a New Passport in Person
You will need to bring the following:
- Applications may be filled out online here or download the PDF here. Completed application must be printed single-sided. Printed applications are available at the Library.
- Fill out lines 1-21 on the application only.
- Fill out applications in black ink only with no whiteout.
- Do not sign the application until asked to do so by an agent.
Proof of Citizenship
You must provide one proof of citizenship (original or certified copy).
- Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. Passport (may be expired)
- Birth Certificate
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- List your parent(s) full name(s)
- Has the date filed with the registrar’s office (must be within one year of birth)
- Has the registrar’s signature
- Has the seal of the issuing authority
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Certificate of Citizenship
One Valid Photo Identification
You must present a valid photo ID and bring one photocopy (front & back).
- Valid undamaged Illinois Driver’s License
- Illinois State ID Card
- U.S. Passport-undamaged (may be expired)
- Valid foreign passport
- Military ID Card (or Military dependent ID)
- Government employee ID (city, county, state, or Federal)
- Photocopies must be:
- On 8.5” x 11” standard white paper
- Black and white
- For out of state IDs, you must present an additional ID
Applicant and/or Relevant Parties
- All applicants MUST be present, regardless of age.
- Both parents/legal guardian(s) and children must be present for all minor applications under the age of 16.
- If only one parent/legal guardian can be present, a notarized DS-3053 form must be submitted along with a copy of the front and back of the non-applying parent/legal guardian’s ID.
One Current Passport Photo
You must provide one official color photo taken within the past 6 months.
- Photo should be 2” x 2”, full-face, front view, with a plain white or off-white background.
- Normal street attire without hats, headgear, or uniforms unless it’s part of religious attire.
- The Library does not provide photo services. Visit your local Walgreens, CVS, or Costco for photo services.
You must provide two payments (check or money order) per application at the time of processing.
Fee #1 to U.S. Department of State
|For Adult applications (Age 16 and older)|
|Passport Book: $110|
|Passport Card: $30|
|For Children (Age 15 or younger)|
|Passport Book: $80|
Fee #2 to Niles-Maine District Library
|$35 per application|
Library Passport Service Hours
Routine: 4-6 weeks (including mailing time)
Expedited: 2-3 weeks (including mailing time)
- Costs an additional $60 per application
- May choose overnight delivery of your application for an additional charge per application
- May choose overnight delivery for return shipping for an additional charge of $16.48 per application
Need it faster?
- For life or death emergencies, call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) between the following hours: M-F 7am-10pm ET, Saturday 10am-3pm ET (Excluding Federal Hoidays)
- Call 1-202-647-4000 after business hours.
Check Online: Check your application status here. It takes 7-10 business days for applications to be trackable online.
By Phone: Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) between the following hours: M-F 7am-10pm ET, Saturday 10am-3pm ET (Excluding Federal Holidays)