Get a Library Card
Who can get a library card?
Adults, teens, and children living in the Library District (Niles, parts of unincorporated Des Plaines, or parts of unincorporated Glenview). Teens and children may get a library card when the parent presents identification and signs on their behalf. There is no age restriction for library cards.
Not sure if you live in the Library District? Call Patron Services at 847-663-1234 to verify your address.
How can I get a library card?
- Click here to sign up for a library card online
- Visit the Patron Services Desk
What do I need to get a library card?
Please bring two forms of identification (one must be a photo ID) with current address.
- Driver’s License
- State ID
Another Form of Identification (Must Be Current)
- Utility Bill
- Bank Statement
- Lease Agreement
I have a library card from another library. Can I use it at the Library?
- The Library participates in Reciprocal Borrowing, so other library cards may also be used at the Niles-Maine District Library.
- If your library belongs to our computer catalog consortium (CCS), you are already in our system and can check out right away.
- If your library does not participate in CCS (Chicago and Skokie are some) then just stop by Patron Services with your card and a piece of identification, and we will add you to our database. Niles-Maine library cards are accepted at the other libraries in exchange.
I’m a teacher at a school in the Library District. Can I get a library card?
Yes! Visit the Teachers page here for more information.
I’m a business owner in the Library District. Can I get a library card?
Yes! The owner, president, or director of the business can sign up for a business library card in-person or online here.