You are here
Coping with the stresses of everyday life can be difficult and are expected. Feeling sad, anxious, overwhelmed or having other symptoms of distress such as trouble sleeping and loss of appetite are normal. If symptoms become worse reach out for support and help. The following are free mental health resources available to all area residents:
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- 800-273-TALK (8255) | Website
Illinois Department of Human Services Domestic Violence Helpline
- 877-TO END DV or 877-863-6338 (Voice) 1-877-863-6339 (TTY) | Website
National Alliance on Mental Illness Chicago
- Dial 311 or 833-626-4244 | Website
Bright Star Community Outreach
- 833-TURN-123 or 833-887-6123 | Website
Chicago Department of Public Health Mental Health Center Teletherapy
- 312-747-1020 | Website
Illinois Department of Health
- Text COVID to 312-500-3836 to receive daily updates about COVID-19
- Text TALK (English) or HABLAR (Spanish) to 552020 to access emotional support
- Text UNEMPLOYMENT, FOOD or SHELTER to 552020 to receive information on those topics
For more information about housing and shelters, please view these Illinois Department of Human Services Housing, Shelter & Homelessness Resources.
Crisis Text Line
- Text HOME to 741741 to access a trained crisis counselor 24-hours a day
Librarian Recommended Materials for Coping with Mental Health
While self-guided reading cannot take the place of a mental health professional, the right book can offer comfort and practical tips to try at home. Find the Coping with Mental Health Reading List here.
Librarian Recommended Materials for Coping with Grief
Grieving? Find these titles for validation, comfort, and hope in the aftermath of loss here.
As with anything as vast as grief, there are many resources that the Library can provide to help patrons learn and deal with that topic. Find these titles for validation, comfort, and hope in the aftermath of loss here.
Librarian Recommended Materials on Meditation and Mindfulness
Whether you are new to meditation, are seeking to deepen your practice, or simply curious about mindful living, there is a book for you.
Find the curated list of the best meditation titles, ranging from the classic to unconventional, practical to the philosophical, and the simple to understand to the more detailed and complex here.
Librarian Recommended Online Resources
- Tips on Managing Anxiety about COVID-19 (English, Spanish, Polish, Simplified Chinese, Tagalog, Arabic)
- Mental Health and Coping During COVID-19
- Illinois Department of Human Services COVID-19 Mental Health Resources
- Guidance for Parents in Talking to Children about COVID-19 (English, Spanish, Polish, Simplified Chinese, Tagalog, Arabic)
- U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs: COVID Coach Mobile App, COVID-19 Resources for Managing Stress
- Speak For Safety Illinois: Firearm Restraining Order
For Older Adults:
- Council for Jewish Elderly: Connecting and Coping While Sheltering in Place
- AgeOptions: Keeping Mentally Healthy, Coping with COVID-19 Living Restrictions
Government and State Coronavirus Information